CA County Birding maps

  • Finatic
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
      Over the past few years I have been putting together a Google Map of San Diego County birding locations. I done some searching online for other California County birding maps and have not found but two others. Personally I prefer Google Maps because I can open it on my phone when traveling.

      Please let me know of any other online county birding map resources – especially if they are Google maps.

      Maps for which I am aware:

      My San Diego County Birding Map
      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112790893377775883827.00044214b7c31ce3db25a&z=9

      David Vander Pluym's Ventura County Birding Map
      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112111666875650659574.000460bad7f5baac97901&z=8

      Tom Benson's Inland Counties Birding Locations Map - San Bernardino, Riverside, and Imperial Counties.
      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=108208772478691043243.000453167c7f048348671&z=8

      Thanks in advance,
      BJ Stacey
      Santee
    • Finatic

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
          The San Mateo Birding Guide that I've edited has an overview map on
          the home page. I'll look at the other maps you've referenced here,
          then see if we can incorporate any of their features into our website.

          Jennifer Rycenga
          Half Moon Bay, CA
          visit http://birding.sequoia-audubon.org/
          The San Mateo County Birding Guide

          On Jun 8, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Finatic wrote:

          > Over the past few years I have been putting together a Google Map of
          > San Diego County birding locations. I done some searching online for
          > other California County birding maps and have not found but two
          > others. Personally I prefer Google Maps because I can open it on my
          > phone when traveling.
          >
          > Please let me know of any other online county birding map resources
          > � especially if they are Google maps.
          >
          > Maps for which I am aware:
          >
          > My San Diego County Birding Map
          > http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112790893377775883827.00044214b7c31ce3db25a&z=9
          >
          > David Vander Pluym's Ventura County Birding Map
          > http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112111666875650659574.000460bad7f5baac97901&z=8
          >
          > Tom Benson's Inland Counties Birding Locations Map - San Bernardino,
          > Riverside, and Imperial Counties.
          > http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=108208772478691043243.000453167c7f048348671&z=8
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > BJ Stacey
          > Santee

        • Don Roberson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
            Of course the "hot spots" in eBird provide information about prime
            birding spots in every county in California (and beyond). Many eBird hot
            spots are carefully sited within google maps and you can focus right
            down to the exact location for many hot spots. Some are more general --
            those for National Wildlife Refuges may just be centered in the middle
            of the reserve -- but California has a very good set of map-detailed
            birding locations within eBird.

            All one must do to access this wealth of material is sign up with your
            user name and select a password. It is free.
            http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

            You can access the hot spots in many ways. I prefer to start with
            "submit observations" and then chose "find it on a map" at a county
            level. You can then focus down to as high a resolution as you like. Once
            you have looked at or printed the map, you can then exit that part of
            eBird without actually entering any data [although, of course, it would
            be great if you went there and entered a checklist, but it is not
            necessary to do so to use this wealth of information]. There are many
            hot spots in every California county, and they continue to be added weekly.

            Don Roberson
          • Mike Stiles
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
              San Luis Obispo county has a birdfinding guide with many Google map links
              for different sections of the county at
              http://morrocoastaudubon.org/publications.php

              Mike Stiles
              Los Osos

            • Jamie Chavez
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 10, 2010
                I maintain a Santa Barbara County birding guide with incorporated Google
                map links:

                http://mysite.verizon.net/res0d1yq/content2.html

                Jamie M. Chavez
                Santa Maria, CA

              • Finatic
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 22, 2010
                  Hi Calbirders,

                  Thanks to everyone who responded with maps of which they were aware. I've created a PDF and added it in the files section of the group in the California County Online Maps folder. Many counties are missing but I have listed all maps for which I have either found or been told about.

                  My original request was due to meeting someone who told me about John Sterling's site and those birders who have tallied 150 birds in each California County. You can visit the site at the following link:
                  http://www.sterlingbirds.com/county_birders.htm

                  My first goal is to simply get to all 58 counties. Now as I make it to new areas of the state I have easy access to birding maps created by birders!

                  I hope everyone out there can make use of these online maps. If I have missed any maps or have credited the wrong person/group for a map's creation please let me know and I fix the file.

                  Good birding,
                  BJ Stacey
                  Santee, CA