SBT Today

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2010
      Howdy, Birders,

      While counting yellow-billed magpies for Audubon California today, I
      came across the following birds which might be of interest to some:

      On Cienega Road, a male INDIGO BUNTING was chasing a male Lazuli
      Bunting, while a male BLUE GROSBEAK was singing.

      At Paicines Reservoir, a male GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE flew north toward
      Panoche Road from the vineyard, across from the Highway 25 pullout.

      On Panoche Road, a large colony of TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS, nesting in
      hay, was mowed over. Perhaps, some survived, as fledglings seemed to
      be in many stages. This was at the 3.47 mile marker. A large, nesting
      colony of Tricolored Blackbirds, well over 1000 pairs, can be seen
      from this spot, some distance, across the river, nesting in another
      hay field. Let's hope that they fledge soon. Another undisclosed
      nesting colony of 1000+ pairs, has fledglings in all stages. About
      15-20% of this colony was lost due to being mowed for a firebreak road.

      On Brown's Valley Road, from the Highway 25 entrance, just beyond the
      vineyard, is a small satellite TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD COLONY of about
      40-60 pairs. They are nesting in milk thistle. Both males and females
      are carrying food to dependent young. Flocks of foraging parties of
      12-20 birds, can be seen along this road. These foraging flocks are
      most likely from the remaining colony in the hayfield, as described
      above.

      Elsewhere in the county: I found a PRAIRIE FALCON NEST. The only
      known BALD EAGLE NEST is confirmed as having two eaglets, one smaller
      than the other. I saw all of the "usual resident suspects" many
      feeding dependent young, including many YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIES. It was
      a spectacular day, with beautiful orographic lenticularis clouds.

      Magpies forever,
      Debi

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.