Visit to Southern California - September 2010

  • gruff0610
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2010
      Hi everyone

      I may be visiting Southern California from Wales for a week at the beginning of September 2010.

      This would be a family trip, based in Santa Monica, but I will have a rental car and don;t mind travelling in search of birds.

      I would really appreciate your views on the likelihood of my seeing the following birds at that time of year, please:

      Lewis's Woodpecker
      Red-naped Sapsucker
      Vaux's Swift
      Western Screech Owl
      Common Poorwill
      Red Knot
      California Condor
      Grey Vireo
      Cassin's Vireo
      Swainson's Thrush - Russet-backed form
      Sage Thrasher
      Bendire's Thrasher
      Le Conte's Thrasher
      Lawrence's Goldfinch
      Sooty Fox Sparrow
      Slate-colored Fox Sparrow
      Large-billed Sparrow
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow

      Any suggestions about specific locations to search for these birds would be very gratefully received.

      Also, can you recommend any bird guides based in that area who I may be able to hire to help me find these birds?

      Finally, would you be able to suggest anyone I could contact with respect to pelagic seabird trips in that area at that time of year?

      All help and suggestions would be extremely welcome.

      Many thanks in advance

      Gruff Dodd