Riverside Peregrines update

  • mgurbada909@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2010
      I spent a couple hours this morning watching the downtown Peregrines. At 5 AM the male was perched on top of the police department antenna, already alert and scanning. The female was perched inside the open elevator shaft vent near the top of the Co Admin building. After a few warm-up flights, the female moved to the top of the concrete elevator tower on the west side of the building. The male flew off to the east, and returned a half hour later with prey, which he carried to the (presumptive) nest ledge, on the SE side of the Presley Detention Center. The female flew up to meet him, and fed while the male stood off a few feet, bowing and calling.

      I saw the birds copulate twice, both times at the female's position on top of the Admin Center. Both birds were very vocal this morning, the male "chur-uping" loudly from the nest ledge at the female, perched across the street, and the female emitting a low, soft, plaintive begging whine much of the time I was there (I think she was telling the male to get off his butt and go catch breakfast).

      The birds are distinctive and easy to tell apart. The male is noticibly smaller, of course. He is in standard adult Anatum plummage. The female has "dusky" look, with a grayish-brown cast to her back and head. While the male's chest is typically marked below and buff above, the female's is heavily streaked and barred right up to her white throat- it looks like she's wearing a necklace.

      To simplify reporting, I'm going to name the pair in honor of the Nixon's, who were married just down the street at the Mission Inn- henceforth, the Downtown Riverside Peregrines are "Pat" and "Tricky Dick"!