CA pelagic revolution

  • Mitch H
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2002
      Hi all,

      I've so far received 4 messages asking how I was offshore in Monterey Bay this week. I rode a boat from Crescent City to Santa Barbara this week (via Cordell and the Farallons). This is the new Condor Express, the high speed cat replacing the Condor. We will be doing the deepwater trips to Arguello etc. on it. It is more a starship than a boat!
      Clocked at 43.7 knots (50 MPH)!!! Pterodromas are no longer something only part of the boat sees, as they will be run down in comfort.

      75' long, 26' wide, my seat is 30' above sea level. It cruises at 30 knots. It is SOOOO comfortable, pelagic birding in CA will never be the same. This boat is a revolution. Four turbo jets (no props or exhaust), 3000 HP, does wheelies. I thought we were in 2' seas, while they were actually 6', it is sooo stable.
      Bird photography from a boat will be like never before. CC to Sta. Barb, and you can hardly find a salt spot on the windows...Spray thrown way out and away, so you can bird from the cabin with your martini (a big plus). A cup of water didn't spill in 3 days! It is 25% larger than the New Goldeneye, if you know that boat. This carries 149 capacity (bird trips with half that)! We did Crescent City to Bodega in a day! Now we'll leave early just before dawn, and return after dark - no overnight needed. The Vantuna is worse in 1' seas than this in 6'!

      April 27 and May 25 will be the two spring trips for Cook's and Murphy's (last year 4-27 was our Dark-rumped Petrel). See my website for this years dates. Or www.condorcruises.com for more info or to sign up for trips... lots of pictures of it will soon be up there.

      There was a Snow Bunting in Crescent City harbor on the main parking lot near the Harbor Master by the crab pots last Saturday, 3/2. I watched it fly off though, so don't know if chasing would be of any value...

      regards all,
      Mitch in Torrance,
      Mitch Heindel
      birdfish@...
      (please use this e-dress)
      http;//www.angelfire.com/ca5/pelagics

      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

      Travelocity.com is giving away two million travel miles.
      http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3969773;6991039;g?http://svc.travelocity.com/promos/millionmiles_main/0,,TRAVELOCITY,00.html