Sonora Pass HY108 Pine Grosbeak

  • richard s. cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2010
      Saturday Sonora Pass HY108 in Toulumne and Mono County was opened
      allowing access for birders into eastern Sierra's.
      Driving west birding was fair due to such high snow on the west side
      which is Toulumne County.
      Townsend's Solitaire and Swainson's Thrush were very easily seen along
      the road side.
      The eastern side of Sonora Pass was is a snow pack but much less in volume.
      Cassin Finches, Audubon Warblers, White-crowned Sparrows, Pine Siskin
      and a Single Pine Grosbeak were feeding at HY108 edge between Road
      Marker 2.0 and 5.0., Mono County
      Clark's Nutcracker seem to be everywhere calling and flying from tree
      top to tree top, I counted seven individuals.
      Where HY108 meets HY 395 the ponds have Yellow-Headed Blackbirds and
      three calling Wilson Snipe.
      Also one pond had three Northern Pintail's.
      In conclusion on my return I noticed that California Fish and Game have
      installed a gate for entrance into Pickel Meadows.
      The gate can be found on the northeast of the entrance of Wolf Creek
      parking area.
      Pickel Meadows has always interest me for possible Yellow Rail habitat
      during migration.
      Enjoy your long weekend,
      Rich Cimino, Alameda County