Re: Black-crested Titmouse

  • debbieviess
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2010
      Since you stated that you have a pair of these birds, rather than one lonely soul blown off course and out of its normal range, Bulbul is the more logical choice (esp. since Red-Whiskered Bulbuls have a breeding population in the area already). The basic feather patterns and crest might be similar between the two birds, but the behaviors are very different...were they fruit foraging or flycatching? or hanging upside down like a titmouse does? The vocalization that you described sounds more bulbul like too: lively and loud, with melodic passages interspersed with "churp" notes.

      Debbie Viess
      Oakland, CA