Re: [CALBIRDS] Black-crested Titmouse

  • Avian Resources
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2010
      At 01:18 PM 5/14/2010, fnscoble wrote:
      >I believe I have a pair of Black-crested titmice in my yard in South
      >Pasadena, Ca. I can find no records of this species in Southern
      >California. Any other reports? Any other bird it could be? Sharp
      >black crest, white under chin, grey body with touches of rust near
      >the tailfeathers. Melodic, strong song. Would love to hear thoughts!

      Sounds like it may be a Red-whiskered Bulbul which is an introduced species
      from Asia that is well-established in the Pasadena area. A picture of
      one taken at the LA County Arboretum can be seen here
      http://www.avianresources.com/images/Naturalized_NonParrots/Bulbul_Red-whiskered1.JPG.

      Let me know if this looks like the bird you saw.

      Steve Duncan
      San Dimas, CA
    • Don Roberson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2010
        If the mystery bird does not prove to be Red-whiskered Bulbul, then it
        is almost surely Black-crested Finch Lophospingus pusillus, native to
        Bolivia, Paraguay, n. Argentina, which looks remarkably like
        Black-crested Titmouse. Years ago, in a previous life, I owned a pair
        purchased at a Bay Area pet shop, and they remain available in the
        avicultural world. Such a bird in the Los Angeles area would be an
        escape from captivity.

        Don Roberson
      • debbieviess
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2010
          Since you stated that you have a pair of these birds, rather than one lonely soul blown off course and out of its normal range, Bulbul is the more logical choice (esp. since Red-Whiskered Bulbuls have a breeding population in the area already). The basic feather patterns and crest might be similar between the two birds, but the behaviors are very different...were they fruit foraging or flycatching? or hanging upside down like a titmouse does? The vocalization that you described sounds more bulbul like too: lively and loud, with melodic passages interspersed with "churp" notes.

          Debbie Viess
          Oakland, CA