RE: [CALBIRDS] Black-crested Titmouse

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14 1:38 PM
      Fran,

      Your birds are almost certainly Red-whiskered Bulbuls, a commonly
      established non-native bird in the South Pasadena/Pasadena/San
      Marino/Arcadia are. Check that species out in one of the North American
      field guides (the species is also established in Florida).

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
      213-763-3368
      kgarrett@...

      Message 2 of 5 , May 14 1:38 PM
        At 01:18 PM 5/14/2010, fnscoble wrote:
        >I believe I have a pair of Black-crested titmice in my yard in South
        >Pasadena, Ca. I can find no records of this species in Southern
        >California. Any other reports? Any other bird it could be? Sharp
        >black crest, white under chin, grey body with touches of rust near
        >the tailfeathers. Melodic, strong song. Would love to hear thoughts!

        Sounds like it may be a Red-whiskered Bulbul which is an introduced species
        from Asia that is well-established in the Pasadena area. A picture of
        one taken at the LA County Arboretum can be seen here
        http://www.avianresources.com/images/Naturalized_NonParrots/Bulbul_Red-whiskered1.JPG.

        Let me know if this looks like the bird you saw.

        Steve Duncan
        San Dimas, CA
      • Don Roberson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 14 1:48 PM
          If the mystery bird does not prove to be Red-whiskered Bulbul, then it
          is almost surely Black-crested Finch Lophospingus pusillus, native to
          Bolivia, Paraguay, n. Argentina, which looks remarkably like
          Black-crested Titmouse. Years ago, in a previous life, I owned a pair
          purchased at a Bay Area pet shop, and they remain available in the
          avicultural world. Such a bird in the Los Angeles area would be an
          escape from captivity.

          Don Roberson
        • debbieviess
          Message 4 of 5 , May 16 9:38 AM
            Since you stated that you have a pair of these birds, rather than one lonely soul blown off course and out of its normal range, Bulbul is the more logical choice (esp. since Red-Whiskered Bulbuls have a breeding population in the area already). The basic feather patterns and crest might be similar between the two birds, but the behaviors are very different...were they fruit foraging or flycatching? or hanging upside down like a titmouse does? The vocalization that you described sounds more bulbul like too: lively and loud, with melodic passages interspersed with "churp" notes.

            Debbie Viess
            Oakland, CA