Black-crested Titmouse

  • fnscoble
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2010
      I believe I have a pair of Black-crested titmice in my yard in South Pasadena, Ca. I can find no records of this species in Southern California. Any other reports? Any other bird it could be? Sharp black crest, white under chin, grey body with touches of rust near the tailfeathers. Melodic, strong song. Would love to hear thoughts!

      Fran Scoble
      South Pasadena, CA
    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2010
        Fran,

        Your birds are almost certainly Red-whiskered Bulbuls, a commonly
        established non-native bird in the South Pasadena/Pasadena/San
        Marino/Arcadia are. Check that species out in one of the North American
        field guides (the species is also established in Florida).

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
        213-763-3368
        kgarrett@...

        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2010
          At 01:18 PM 5/14/2010, fnscoble wrote:
          >I believe I have a pair of Black-crested titmice in my yard in South
          >Pasadena, Ca. I can find no records of this species in Southern
          >California. Any other reports? Any other bird it could be? Sharp
          >black crest, white under chin, grey body with touches of rust near
          >the tailfeathers. Melodic, strong song. Would love to hear thoughts!

          Sounds like it may be a Red-whiskered Bulbul which is an introduced species
          from Asia that is well-established in the Pasadena area. A picture of
          one taken at the LA County Arboretum can be seen here
          http://www.avianresources.com/images/Naturalized_NonParrots/Bulbul_Red-whiskered1.JPG.

          Let me know if this looks like the bird you saw.

          Steve Duncan
          San Dimas, CA
        • Don Roberson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2010
            If the mystery bird does not prove to be Red-whiskered Bulbul, then it
            is almost surely Black-crested Finch Lophospingus pusillus, native to
            Bolivia, Paraguay, n. Argentina, which looks remarkably like
            Black-crested Titmouse. Years ago, in a previous life, I owned a pair
            purchased at a Bay Area pet shop, and they remain available in the
            avicultural world. Such a bird in the Los Angeles area would be an
            escape from captivity.

            Don Roberson
          • debbieviess
            Message 5 of 5 , May 16, 2010
              Since you stated that you have a pair of these birds, rather than one lonely soul blown off course and out of its normal range, Bulbul is the more logical choice (esp. since Red-Whiskered Bulbuls have a breeding population in the area already). The basic feather patterns and crest might be similar between the two birds, but the behaviors are very different...were they fruit foraging or flycatching? or hanging upside down like a titmouse does? The vocalization that you described sounds more bulbul like too: lively and loud, with melodic passages interspersed with "churp" notes.

              Debbie Viess
              Oakland, CA