Birds Can Save the World, 5/19/2010, 7:00 pm, Eaton Canyon Nature Center

  • Ron Cyger
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2010
      Reminder: You are cordially invited to the next Pasadena Audubon Society
      Meeting.

      Title: Birds Can Save the World Date: Wednesday May 19, 2010 Time: 7:00
      pm - 9:00 pm (Program begins at 7:30 p.m.)
      Location: Eaton Canyon Nature Center Notes: Presented by: John
      Fitzpatrick

      Be sure to arrive early for good seating!

      In this illustrated lecture Fitzpatrick will emphasize the vital roles that
      birds continue to play in fostering conservation of worldwide biological
      diversity. Most important, birds represent our most accessible and sensitive
      indicator of environmental health and ecological change. Today, thanks
      especially to the Internet, individual citizens have unprecedented
      opportunities to provide real data that answer important questions about
      bird populations at continental scales. Humans literally are beginning to
      serve as worldwide biosphere sensors. The question is, do we also have the
      will to self-correct? Birds present us with numerous motivations to do so,
      and an excellent barometer for measuring our successes and failures.
      Rediscovery of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker in 2005 provided a clear case in
      point, and I will suggest what the "Lord God Bird" teaches us about both
      human nature and environmental protection.

      Since 1995, Dr. Fitzpatrick has been Director of the Cornell Laboratory of
      Ornithology and professor in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Cornell
      University.

      Hope to see you there,

      Ron Cyger
      Pasadena Audubon Society