Re: [CALBIRDS] Black Rail at havasu nwr

  • Wes Fritz
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2010
      It is AZ.

      If you want it in CA. try at 10 mile Landing, east of Needles.

      Wes Fritz
      Solvang, Ca.
      (805) 895-0685
      wes-fritz@...

      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2010
        Hi all,

        While living in Golden Shores/Topock AZ. for a few years. I could hear Black Rails at North Dike and the ditches up to Pintail Slough. Before the fire, maybe 15 or 17? years ago we could hear them back by the Boathouse behind Johnson Flats. They dredged a slow moving canal to help the water move and not get stagnant. The wild horses and feral pigs kept this location fairly groomed, spot on for Black Rails. Another location was at the old CC camp at the end of the Kayenta Rd. in Golden Shores. Catfish Paradise can be good also, off of AZ. Hwy 95 and then the dreaded walk into lost lake from the furthest south dike. Another way to reach this area is to drive down Levy Road to the end and walk over the dunes to you get the lost lake area. Topock farms has never produced any Black Rails that I have experienced myself. As John Sterling Mentions, the tidal thing could be devastating to nesting rails, but the Marsh is managed fairly well, keeping the water level fairly consistent. It is the area in the Gorge that has the large tidal fluctuations. They release water on the weekends for the boaters and they also release extra water during each day to keep up with the electric energy/ power demand. I would bird these areas with my aluminum boat, it beats walking and it's good fishing too.

        Good birding,

        Wes Fritz
        Solvang, Ca.
        (805) 895-0685
        wes-fritz@...

        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2010
          Hi all,

          I failed to mention Park Moabi, there is another location that I have never tried. It is south of the J Street marina, there is a neighborhood with a boating community, with a lot of back water and it backs up to the Needles Golf Course. I do know it has some pretty fat bass in it.

          Good Birding,

          Wes Fritz
          Solvang, Ca.
          (805) 895-0685