Re: [CALBIRDS] Black Rail at havasu nwr

  • Gjon_Hazard@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2010
      It is cool! Thanks for the report, Ian.

      If I recall, Bureau of Reclamation marshbird surveys (part of the
      monitoring for the Lower Colorado River Multi-Species Conservation Program
      <http://www.lcrmscp.gov/>) found them farther upstream towards Blankenship
      Bend 3 or 4 years ago. I believe they have had them every year since, all
      in low numbers. They use a boat and have detected Black Rails on both the
      California and Arizona sides of the River, although the bulk of the habitat
      is in Arizona.

      I'm no expert on the species or the area, but my understanding is that
      finding Black Rails in this area was considered unexpected because it was
      thought that the species prefers areas with little water-level fluctuation,
      and this part of the river is far from immune from the daily "tides" that
      are common along the lower Colorado River (a result of the amount of water
      released from the hydroelectric dams). Black Rails are also known from the
      Bill Williams delta area, not too far to the south, and in a number of
      spots much farther south.

      Please note, for those who may be heading out that way, the Yuma Clapper
      Rail is also in the area and is a protected species under the federal
      Endangered Species Act. It is illegal to harm or harass them, which
      typically includes the playing of tapes (one needs a permit to do so).
      Also, the Yuma Clapper Rail and the California Black Rail are listed under
      the California Endangered Species Act and are also listed by California as
      Fully Protected Species. It would be poor form indeed to play tapes for
      Black Rails, even if in Arizona. Anyway, nuff said on that.

      Thanks again for the report.

      Cheers,
      -Gj

      ====================================
      Gjon C. Hazard
      Fish and Wildlife Biologist
      Carlsbad Fish and Wildlife Office
      6010 Hidden Valley Road, Suite 101
      Carlsbad, CA 92011 USA
      Voice: 760/431-9440x287
      FAX: 760/918-0638
      E-mail: Gjon_Hazard<.at.>fws.gov
      http://carlsbad.fws.gov/
      ====================================
      not an official post of the USFWS

      "ianmaunsell12"
      <ian.maunsell@gma
      il.com> To
      Sent by: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
      CALBIRDS@yahoogro cc
      ups.com
      Subject
      [CALBIRDS] Black Rail at havasu nwr
      05/13/2010 10:32
      AM

      Out at the Lake Havasu NWR today i was surprised to hear a Black Rail
      "kickee-doo" at me for approximately three minutes from about 70m away in a
      patch of southern cattail and california bullrush. I was at the very
      Southeast end of the refuge in Topok marsh. Thought this was pretty cool
      and would share!

      Ian Maunsell
      San Diego
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2010
        "areas with little water-level fluctuation"

        ?

        I believe the research in the foothills of the Sacramento Valley have found they prefer marshes with a slight slope, where the water is flowing and not stagnant.

        Steve Hampton
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • John Sterling
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2010
          The concern with water-level fluctuation was that rail nests could be
          swamped by rapid increases in water levels, include large wakes from boats.
          Many of the occupied black rail areas had fairly shallow and fairly
          consistent water levels (not necessarily stagnant!).

          John Sterling

          VVVVVVVVVV

          26 Palm Ave

          Woodland, CA 95695

          cell 530 908-3836

          jsterling@...

          check out my photos at http://sterlingbirds.smugmug.com

          Birding Classes at
          http://www.sterlingbirds.com/birding_classes__yolo_basin.html

          www.sterlingbirds.com

> [...]

          are common along the lower Colorado River (a result of the amount of water
          released from the hydroelectric dams). Black Rails are also known from the
          Bill Williams delta area, not too far to the south, and in a number of
          spots much farther south.

          Please note, for those who may be heading out that way, the Yuma Clapper
          Rail is also in the area and is a protected species under the federal
          Endangered Species Act. It is illegal to harm or harass them, which
          typically includes the playing of tapes (one needs a permit to do so).
          Also, the Yuma Clapper Rail and the California Black Rail are listed under
          the California Endangered Species Act and are also listed by California as
          Fully Protected Species. It would be poor form indeed to play tapes for
          Black Rails, even if in Arizona. Anyway, nuff said on that.

          Sent by: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS%40yahoogroups.com>
          CALBIRDS@yahoogro cc
          ups.com
          Subject
          [CALBIRDS] Black Rail at havasu nwr
          05/13/2010 10:32
          AM

          Out at the Lake Havasu NWR today i was surprised to hear a Black Rail
          "kickee-doo" at me for approximately three minutes from about 70m away in a
          patch of southern cattail and california bullrush. I was at the very
          Southeast end of the refuge in Topok marsh. Thought this was pretty cool
          and would share!

          Ian Maunsell
          San Diego

          <mailto:CALBIRDS-owner%40yahoogroups.com>

          these addresses:
          <mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail%40yahoogroups.com>
          <mailto:CALBIRDS-normal%40yahoogroups.com>

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • ianmaunsell12
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2010
            A few notes to add after reading everyone's responses.

            My limited understanding of Black Rails at Havasu has come from talking to to people involved in long-term study of marsh birds on the lower colorado river. I was conducting one such survey from a boat when I heard this bird, although it called during a passive part of my survey and did not respond to tape.

            from what i can gather, Black Rails have been detected in Topok Gorge for the last three years. A single black rail was heard in Topok Marsh three or four years ago.

            I have heard Black Rails in many other locations this year. Some of these, like Hidden Shores Marsh just above Imperial Dam, have good water flow and are just off the main river channel. Others, like North Mittry Lake, have more stagnant water.

            I have been told that they prefer water 2"-4" deep, which would make sense to me considering their small size. As pointed out earlier, rapid fluctuations in water levels probably plays a role in habitat selection.

            Ian Maunsell
            San Diego

            --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "John Sterling" <jsterling@...> wrote:

            > The concern with water-level fluctuation was that rail nests could be
            > swamped by rapid increases in water levels, include large wakes from boats.
            > Many of the occupied black rail areas had fairly shallow and fairly
            > consistent water levels (not necessarily stagnant!).
            >

            > John Sterling
            >
            > VVVVVVVVVV
            >

            > 26 Palm Ave
            >
            > Woodland, CA 95695
            >
            > cell 530 908-3836
            >
            > jsterling@...
            >
            > check out my photos at http://sterlingbirds.smugmug.com
            >
            > Birding Classes at
            > http://www.sterlingbirds.com/birding_classes__yolo_basin.html
            >
            > www.sterlingbirds.com

          • Wes Fritz
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2010
              It is AZ.

              If you want it in CA. try at 10 mile Landing, east of Needles.

              Wes Fritz
              Solvang, Ca.
              (805) 895-0685
              wes-fritz@...

              Is this location in California or Arizona?

              Tom Benson
              San Bernardino, CA

              Message 6 of 9 , May 13, 2010
                Hi all,

                While living in Golden Shores/Topock AZ. for a few years. I could hear Black Rails at North Dike and the ditches up to Pintail Slough. Before the fire, maybe 15 or 17? years ago we could hear them back by the Boathouse behind Johnson Flats. They dredged a slow moving canal to help the water move and not get stagnant. The wild horses and feral pigs kept this location fairly groomed, spot on for Black Rails. Another location was at the old CC camp at the end of the Kayenta Rd. in Golden Shores. Catfish Paradise can be good also, off of AZ. Hwy 95 and then the dreaded walk into lost lake from the furthest south dike. Another way to reach this area is to drive down Levy Road to the end and walk over the dunes to you get the lost lake area. Topock farms has never produced any Black Rails that I have experienced myself. As John Sterling Mentions, the tidal thing could be devastating to nesting rails, but the Marsh is managed fairly well, keeping the water level fairly consistent. It is the area in the Gorge that has the large tidal fluctuations. They release water on the weekends for the boaters and they also release extra water during each day to keep up with the electric energy/ power demand. I would bird these areas with my aluminum boat, it beats walking and it's good fishing too.

                Good birding,

                Wes Fritz
                Solvang, Ca.
                (805) 895-0685
                wes-fritz@...

                A few notes to add after reading everyone's responses.

                My limited understanding of Black Rails at Havasu has come from talking to to people involved in long-term study of marsh birds on the lower colorado river. I was conducting one such survey from a boat when I heard this bird, although it called during a passive part of my survey and did not respond to tape.

                from what i can gather, Black Rails have been detected in Topok Gorge for the last three years. A single black rail was heard in Topok Marsh three or four years ago.

                I have heard Black Rails in many other locations this year. Some of these, like Hidden Shores Marsh just above Imperial Dam, have good water flow and are just off the main river channel. Others, like North Mittry Lake, have more stagnant water.

                I have been told that they prefer water 2"-4" deep, which would make sense to me considering their small size. As pointed out earlier, rapid fluctuations in water levels probably plays a role in habitat selection.

                Ian Maunsell
                San Diego

                --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "John Sterling" <jsterling@...> wrote:

                > The concern with water-level fluctuation was that rail nests could be
                > swamped by rapid increases in water levels, include large wakes from boats.
                > Many of the occupied black rail areas had fairly shallow and fairly
                > consistent water levels (not necessarily stagnant!).
                >

                > John Sterling
                >
                > VVVVVVVVVV
                >

                > 26 Palm Ave
                >
                > Woodland, CA 95695
                >
                > cell 530 908-3836
                >
                > jsterling@...
                >
                > check out my photos at http://sterlingbirds.smugmug.com
                >
                > Birding Classes at
                > http://www.sterlingbirds.com/birding_classes__yolo_basin.html
                >
                > www.sterlingbirds.com

              • Wes Fritz
                Message 7 of 9 , May 13, 2010
                  Hi all,

                  I failed to mention Park Moabi, there is another location that I have never tried. It is south of the J Street marina, there is a neighborhood with a boating community, with a lot of back water and it backs up to the Needles Golf Course. I do know it has some pretty fat bass in it.

                  Good Birding,

                  Wes Fritz
                  Solvang, Ca.
                  (805) 895-0685