SHEARWATERS STARRING IN HOLLYWOOD!

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2010
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Shearwaters and albatrosses will be starring in a Hollywood movie�
      for the first time, ever, I believe. Read on.

      Shearwater Journeys will be running a pelagic trip departing from
      Fishermans' Wharf in Monterey on FRIDAY, JUNE 25TH. This trip has
      been added to our already full calendar of pelagic trips. A film crew
      from Birding Adventures TV will be on board to shoot footage of
      shearwaters, albatrosses, murres and whatever wildlife we can
      encounter. This footage will be used in the 20th Century Fox movie,
      "THE BIG YEAR " based on the book of the same name.

      The book, "The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature and Fowl Obsession"
      was published in 2004. It was written by Mark Obmascik, a journalist
      for two decades. The book tells the true story of three very
      different, very obsessive birders who vie for the biggest bird list
      in one year's time, 1998. Each one of them, at some time, visits
      Monterey Bay to join a Shearwater Journey's pelagic trip to add
      seabirds to his year list. This is where it gets interesting! But,
      you will have to read the book, or come on this boat trip to find out
      more. A blue whale also figures in the story. So, we hope to find one
      on our trip. This comedy stars Steve Martin, Jack Black, Owen Wilson
      and Rashida Jones. Angelica Huston will play the part of Debi
      Shearwater. It is directed by David Frankel and scheduled for release
      in 2011. See: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1053810/

      In addition to shooting footage for the movie, Birding Adventures TV
      will also be shooting for a future TV program. They will be using
      small, hand held cameras which should not interfere in birding on the
      trip at all. No tripods will be used.

      If you would like to join us on Friday, June 25th for this fun-
      filled, unique pelagic trip� and, maybe make your own "claim to
      fame", as an "extra" in the movie, or TV show, please send a check
      for $95 to Shearwater Journeys, Inc., PO Box 190, Hollister, CA
      95024. You will receive a return confirmation letter once your check
      is received. We will be on the very spacious, "Star of Monterey"
      vessel for this day. The leaders will be: Debi Shearwater, Todd
      McGrath, Peter Pyle, Jennifer Green, Lisa Hug, Wes Fritz, Don
      Doolittle and Abe Borker.

      Oh, and I almost forgot� of course, we will be searching for those
      Cook's Petrels!

      Need more information, please email/contact me as below.

      Starring shearwaters forever,
      Debi

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.