Emperor Goose photos

  • Dave Compton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2002
      In case anyone still has doubts about the reported EMPEROR GOOSE at Becher's
      Bay on Santa Rosa Island, I received photos from Sandra MacGillivray, who
      saw the bird daily from 20 to 27 February, and the photos clearly show an
      Emperor Goose. One photo in particular shows most of the field marks pretty
      well: white head, black throat, barring above and below, gray flight
      feathers with white edgings, white tail, dark undertail coverts, orange
      legs, and a small pink bill that's dark on the underside. Looks like a
      beautiful bird.

      For those of you not on the Santa Barbara County list, the bird was reported
      to have been seen yesterday by Gary Barstow, an NPS volunteer. It apparently
      stays near a creek outflow about 100 yards north of the pier.

      Dave Compton
      Santa Barbara