Re: turkey subspecies in California

  • debbieviess
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2010
      Other than that...cool birds: beautiful plumage, interesting behaviors, kinda ugly neck skin. Highly adaptive, too, apparently. Not their fault that they got moved around by those darned interfering humans. Heck, even the Anasazai of the SW domesticated them (and made clothing from their feathers!). As far as nasty, ecosystem destroying intros, turkeys take a far back seat to the feral pigs, my fave eco-bugaboo.

      But is this list really about the blame game? Humans do stupid things every day, all over the world. Actions have consequences, but not always ones that you can forsee. Turkeys are popular and delicious game birds, and the FWS sees from a hunters not ecologist's perspective.

      How 'bout them Canada geese? They self-introduced to our parks and golf courses and lakes...and have become pests as well.

      Where do we draw the line? They're here, they're birds, they are part of our world, like it or not. May as well enjoy them as we can.

      Debbie Viess
      Oakland, CA