Cook's and Murphy's Petrels; Ashy Storm-Petrels, Sabine's Gulls, Laysan Albies

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2010
      A fantastic day of seabirding from Santa Barbara on Saturday, May 1, 2010 was headlined with an incredible 63 Cook's Petrels - but the show-stealer was a Murphy's Petrel that came screaming down the starboard side of the mighty Condor Express.

      The seas and wind were big - the perfect pterodroma day - and it did not disappoint. The trip report video, photos, report and eBird Official Trip List are now posted for your viewing pleasure:
      Visit: http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/santabarbaramay12010.html

      We are all now all on pins and needles anticipating the May 15-17 deep water adventure aboard Grande from San Diego. We've extended our "48-hour Double Overnighter" by 8 hours (to 56 hours) to allow us the time to spend from DAWN TIL DUSK on Sunday in the deep water between the Patton Escarpment and the San Juan Seamount.

      Weekend double-overnight trips have but one purpose: to get out beyond the edge of the continental shelf more than 120 nautical miles offshore where rare pterodroma are usually found only by research ships because no day trips other than the Condor Express venture this far.

      Leaders on the May 15-17 trip include Todd McGrath, Paul E. Lehman, Big Dave Pereksta, Brennan (eagle-eyes) Mulrooney, Dave Povey and Wes Fritz. Brennan is known for his ability to spot albatrosses 5 miles away. There are still some spots available, but in light of what is out there, we expect it to sell out. Call Point Loma Sportfishing at (619) 223-1627 and tell them you want to book on Grande May 15-17.
      http://www. socalbirding. com/tripreports/santabarbaramay12010. html

      The early bird price of $285 is good through 5:00 p. m. May 6. On May 7 the regular price of $325 goes into effect which is still a heck of a deal when you consider the fact that we're at sea for three days in deeper waters - home of tropicbirds, pterodroma petrels and albatrosses.

      On Memorial Day weekend, the luxury live-aboard SEARCHER goes in search of the largest creatures ever to live on the face of the earth - the Blue Whale. We'll also be in prime tropicbird territory and while this trip will not be out beyond the edge of the Continental Shelf, the mid-April research ship saw a distant shearwater that was probably a Wedge-tailed or Cory's and a Tufted Puffin in the waters that we'll be in on Memorial Day weekend.

      SEARCHER may be sold out, but you can call Celia to be put on the waiting list. With all meals and drinks (beer, too!) included, it's a bargain at $395 for 3 days at sea.
      http://www. socalbirding. com/trips/searchermay29312010. html

      Peace on earth.

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www. SoCalBirding. com
      Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
      all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf