Re: info request: large scrub jay flocks on the move

  • dan_cooper_90042
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2010
      John,

      Well, I had 20+ birds while surveying plants on a ridge at Griffith Park, Los Angeles County, on 04 March of this year. I'd heard them calling from a distance, and they started flying toward me, low over the chaparral, pausing only briefly to land, roughly southeast and down-slope, and then were gone. I too hadn't ever seen (or noticed) this before in spring. Western scrub-jay is fairly common in the park, but rarely more than one or two birds are seen in one place.

      [Hope it's ok to respond to the group - we're probably not the only ones curious about this.]

      Dan Cooper
      Los Angeles