info request: large scrub jay flocks on the move

  • John Sterling
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2010
      Howdy Birders,

      Bill Brock recently saw large flocks (~100 and 50 birds) of scrub jays fly
      by his office in the northern Sacramento Valley, and I saw ~20 along Putah
      Creek in a flock yesterday. Bill had never seen these flocks in many years
      of working in his office. Also, although large flocks have been documented
      during fall migration on ridgelines, I don't know of any good information on
      lowland spring migratory flocks. There may be something very interesting
      going on with Western Scrub-Jays now, so I would appreciate any reports of
      flocks during the next few weeks.

      Thanks,

      John

      John Sterling

      VVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave

      Woodland, CA 95695

      cell 530 908-3836

      jsterling@...

      check out my photos at http://sterlingbirds.smugmug.com

      Birding Classes at
      http://www.sterlingbirds.com/birding_classes__yolo_basin.html

      www.sterlingbirds.com

    • dan_cooper_90042
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2010
        John,

        Well, I had 20+ birds while surveying plants on a ridge at Griffith Park, Los Angeles County, on 04 March of this year. I'd heard them calling from a distance, and they started flying toward me, low over the chaparral, pausing only briefly to land, roughly southeast and down-slope, and then were gone. I too hadn't ever seen (or noticed) this before in spring. Western scrub-jay is fairly common in the park, but rarely more than one or two birds are seen in one place.

        [Hope it's ok to respond to the group - we're probably not the only ones curious about this.]

        Dan Cooper
        Los Angeles