Black-throated MagpieJay near Miramar

  • tarryemmalee
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2010
      This morning (Sunday 4/25) while walking home from the Toby Wells YMCA, I saw a Black-throated MagpieJay near the Epsilon Building on Lightwave just west of Overland Ave. This is between Kearny Mesa and Ruffin Road near the Miramar Air Station.

      I realize this is probably an escaped bird. I believe that it is a Pacific slope resident of Mexico. I am going back to try to photograph it. I didn't even have my binoculars when I saw it. It is a spectacular bird.

      Emmalee Tarry
      Nashua, NH
      Wintering in San Diego
    • Eric Kallen
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2010
        This bird has been reported several times recently.
        There is a breeding population of this species in
        the Tijuana River Valley and they can
        be usually seen at the Bird and Butterfly
        Garden just off Hollister St south of Sunset ave.
        Some have been sighted
        as far east as Dulzura.

        Eric Kallen. San Diego

        Sent from my iPhone