Los Huecos to Kitchen Creek (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2002
      Hi, all!

      Picked up where I left off in the Lagunas today by poking down Los Huecos
      Road. Started off with a bang with three Lawrence's Goldfinches near the
      information hut, as well as the usual mountain fare. A particularly
      cooperative Spotted Towhee jumped up at the fire road intersection, and a
      Band-tailed Pigeon flew overhead in an interesting fashion; I wondered if it
      could have been some kind of display flight.

      Next trail was Star Party, or actually the equestrian trail that kind of
      parallels the highway (one of those trails that's five inches wide and a foot
      deep) and had lots of P-Nuts, with a couple coming in close for cute looks!
      At the resting log in the meadow a Hairy Woodpecker called in the distance
      along with a Purple Finch.

      Sunset Trail had more P-Nuts and Acorn Woodpeckers (the latter are abundant
      as well) and four Mourning Doves that were new for the trail for me (at least
      as long as I've been keeping records). Had a gorgeous look at a male Flicker
      that flew across the road and perched, showing off his firey moustache and
      cinnamon cap very nicely. Picked up a Robin on this trail as well, but not a
      lot showed themselves; I like this trail for its scenic value, anyway (when
      you don't run into the mean-looking cows).

      Backtracked to Kitchen Creek Road and poked down that one, stopping every
      mile and gawking at the scenery; this is one of the prettiest back roads in
      the county! The mountain stuff gradually gave way to chaparral stuff, so
      easily added Bewick's Wren, Wrentit, and Fox Sparrow to the day list along
      here (this is a great place for the latter). One of the pullouts gave a
      great view of Kitchen Creek itself, and there was even water running! A
      couple of Steller's Jays were taking advantage of that...

      A suspicious-looking car was parked at the Cibbets Flat trail, so I bypassed
      that and headed to Fred Canyon Road, only to find it closed! So headed on
      down to the PCT where it crosses the road, and had a nice walk through the
      chaparral, picking up California Thrasher for the day, and to another
      gorgeous gawking spot overlooking a part of the creek that USUALLY has water
      in it, but not this time. A Canyon Wren was singing away, doing a theme and
      variations, and before long a Rock Wren chimed in with his "pt-chee" call.
      Didn't really wanna leave, it was such a gorgeous spot!

      Headed home with 30 species for the day. One observation I've made in the
      mountains lately is that (surprise surprise) there are more Crows up there
      than there used to be! Bird list:

      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Band-tailed Pigeon Columba fasciata
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Hairy Woodpecker Picoides villosus
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Canyon Wren Catherpes mexicanus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      American Robin Turdus migratorius
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Mountain Chickadee Poecile gambeli
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      Pygmy Nuthatch Sitta pygmaea
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      Purple Finch Carpodacus purpureus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Fox Sparrow Passerella iliaca
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis