May 1 LAAS Deepwater Pelagic from Santa Barbara - a Few Spots Left

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2010
      Birders,

      Following up on Terry's earlier post, there are still a few spots left for the May 1 deepwater trip out of Santa Barbara. Reports of Cook's Petrels offshore have me hoping we will have another good year for this species, and perhaps some other rarities. We won't know for sure until we get out there. As always Capt. Matt and the great crew of the Condor Express will do their best to get us out to the deepwater along the shelf edge. Our plan will be to work southwest to the shelf edge and the San Juan Seamount, in the same area where we had over a hundred Cook's Petrels last July. This area has been very productive over the years, and is probably the best place in SoCal to find Murphy's Petrels (I have seen more along this stretch of water than anywhere else). This trip will spend time in the channel, past the islands to the shelf, and return on a more easterly route across some wonderful ridges and basins that can be great for birds. No other one day trip in CA will cover the variety of habitats we can cover on the Condor Express.

      The Santa Barbara Channel has been full of whales and the more common nearshore migrants, so there is plenty of food aroud, and by May 1 migration should be in full swing.

      We had a series of great trips on the Condor Express in 2009, and I am looking forward to seeing what we can turn-up May 1.

      My March 31 post has a more complete description, so I won't repeat all the details here. Suffice it to say I am excited about heading offshore and hope you can join us.

      Note that there is different booking process for the Los Angeles Audubon trips on the Condor Express. In order to make the booking process easier, the Sea Landing in Santa Barbara will handle all bookings for these trips. Here's how to contact Sea Landing:

      PHONE: (805) 882-0088 / FAX: (805) 965-0942
      TOLL-FREE IN THE U.S.: (888) 77-WHALE

      May 1st Deepwater pelagic
      Cost $195
      Departure: 7:00 AM (meet at 6:30AM)
      Duration 13+ hours

      I hope to see you onboard.

      There is a very busy SoCal pelagic schedule this year, visit SoCalBirding.com for a complete description of the entire year's trips.

      Todd McGrath
      Skua@...
      Calabasas, CA
    • Wes Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2010
        Sea birders,

        The Condor Express has enough participants to go and is nearly sold out. If you have been waiting for the last minute to sign up, now is the time.

        Good birding and I will see you at sea.

        Wes Fritz
        Solvang, Ca.
        (805) 895-0685