17 APR 2010 San Diego Pelagic Trip Report: Long-tailed Duck, 38 Brown Boobies

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2010
      Greetings,

      The Buena Vista Audubon Society spring pelagic seabirding trip from San Diego featured gentle swells, 2 SAN DIEGO BROWN BOOBIES, 38 BROWN BOOBIES for the day, a baby booby on Los Coronados Island, a lingering LONG-TAILED DUCK and lots of close up XANTUS'S MURRELETS.

      We enjoyed Oystercatchers, Cassin's Auklets running across the ocean, plenty of sunshine, California Sea Lions, herds of Common Dolphin, Rhino Auklets, hundreds of Sooty Shearwaters and 50 "Pinkies", ELEPHANT SEALS in the ocean and lounging on the beach and inquisitive Risso's Dolphins coming right up to the boat.

      See the 17 April 2010 trip report, GPS trip track, species list, photos and video at:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/sandiegoapr172010.html

      Our next SoCal Pelagic Trip is May 1, 2010 from Santa Barbara aboard the Condor Express.
      http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/santabarbaramay12010.html

      Then we'll spend 3 days at sea aboard Grande out of San Diego in search of pterodromas, albatrosses and tropicbirds on 15-17 May.
      http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/sandiegomay15172010.html

      Then Searcher departs San Diego on May 29 – 31 on to hunt seabirds and whales in the luxury of an all-inclusive live-aboard.
      http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/searchermay29312010.html

      Cook's Petrels are already being seen off SoCal this spring from research ships. We're going deep to look for them and whatever other uncommon tubenoses may be out there with them. For example: 66 Murphy's Petrels were seen from Searcher on 18-20 April 2003 and another 25 on 25-27 Apr 2003. 9 Murphy's Petrels were seen on 15 April 2005 from Searcher just northwest of San Miguel Island and one on 16 Apr 2005 from Searcher between San Nicholas Island and the Tanner Bank.
      http://www.socalbirding.com/seabirdreference/petrels.html

      This is also a great time to find Flesh-footed Shearwater:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/seabirdreference/shearwaters.html

      Peace on earth.

      Terry

      ---

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
      all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf