San Diego & Santa Barbara Pelagics - Cook's Petrels Were Seen

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12 6:39 PM
      Greetings

      Dave Povey was joined on his 21 foot Parker fishing boat by Tom Blackman, Peter Ginsburg and Terry Hunefeld on Thursday April 8 for a trip to the Nine Mile Bank about 14 miles offshore San Diego, then across the Coronado Canyon into Mexico to the Los Coronados Islands.

      We saw lots of Xantus's Murrelets (got right up on a few, see Tom's photos) 3 species of alcid all told. Three species of tubenoses, the Sooties and Pinkies are arriving from Robinson Crusoe Island, Australia and New Zealand.

      Our complete trip report with Tom's great Xantus's photos and a close up of a sea lion munching on a Humboldt Squid are posted along with the trip track and species list at:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/sandiegoapr82010.html

      Buena Vista Audubon Society invites you to join us on our next trip out this Saturday aboard Grande to the Nine Mile Bank, Coronados Canyon and the Coronados Islands. This is a great trip to see the returning tubenoses, plus April is the month that Elephant Seals are at Middle Island, in fact, there were 17 Elephant Seals on the south side of Middle Island last week. Guy McCaskie, Todd McGrath and Paul Lehman will be aboard.

      You never know what will turn up in spring. Last month we saw two species of albatrosses on the Nine Mile Bank!

      I received an email from a friend doing a bird survey on a research ship that departed San Diego last week. Between San Diego and Los Angeles they saw more than a dozen COOK'S PETRELS, a HAWAIIAN PETREL, a TUFTED PUFFIN, and a probable Wedge-tailed Shearwater.

      At 15 miles offshore this Saturday we may not anything quite so dramatic, but who thunked we would see multiple Black-footed Albies in San Diego waters and a Laysan Albatross just south of the border on the Bird Festival trip or the Red-billed Tropicbird on the AOU trips in February? You never know what you'll see! Join us Saturday to see what's out there:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/sandiegoapr172010.html

      And if you would like a shot at seeing a Cook's Petrel, Hawaiian Petrel or a Wedge-tailed Shearwater, please join us on the Condor Express all day on May 1 or on Grande for 56 hours on May 15-17 as we go deep to hunt rarities.
      May 1: http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/santabarbaramay12010.html
      May 15-17: http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/sandiegomay15172010.html

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
      all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf

      Inn At Moonlight Beach
      San Diego's Pacific Coast Bed & Breakfast Inn
      Romantic oceanview suites from $129
      http://www.InnAtMoonlightBeach.com