NORTHERN GOSHAWK - MT. PINOS - SAT. APRIL 10 (Re-Post)

  • calbirdgirl
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2010
      [THIS IS A REPOST OF MY EARLIER MESSAGE, AS THE ORIGINAL CONTAINED SOME ERRORS THAT I WANTED TO CORRECT]

      While sitting in a forest observation site on Mt. Pinos I have been using to watch nuthatches and woodpeckers, I was priviledged to see a Northern Goshawk. I was not sure what it was at first, as I did not believe these birds were in Southern California. I took photos and notes, and checked my guides, then submitted a report and the photos to Kimball Garrett for confirmation, who said that it was indeed a Northern Goshawk. Will post photos in the 'Raptors' folder this evening.

      I also observed numerous Pygmy and White-breasted Nuthatches, White-headed and Hairy Woodpeckers, and Mountain Chickadee. Another notable sighting this day was an Evening Grosbeak.

      Linda Navroth
      Culver City