White-fronted Geese at Castaic Lagoon

  • Wim van Dam
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2010
      Liz Muraoka showed me her photos of the Yellow-billed Loon at Castaic
      Lagoon and I noticed that one of the two White-fronted Geese there has
      an obvious eye-ring. In most parts of Europe this would make it a
      contender to be a Lesser White-fronted Goose, as opposed to a Greater,
      but here in California that would be unheard-of (my NG mentions one
      sighting in Alaska in 1994).

      You can look at her photos of the two White-fronted Geese here: http://tinyurl.com/yht3py7

      It does appear a bit smaller than other WfG but its beak seems too big
      and too orange for a Lesser. I'm assuming that this is a Greater after
      all, but I would be interested to hear explanations for its eye-ring
      (even if it is of the kind: "that sometimes happens").

      - Wim (Goleta, CA)

      [I'm posting this here to maximize my chances of finding an expert who
      has seen this goose.]