RFI - Pelagics from onshore

  • Anthony Hewetson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2010
      Greetings All:

      I am planning a trip to California and will be spending a couple of days in mid-May along the north California Coast (San Fransisco to the California/Oregon state line). I plan on camping at or near Patrick's Point State Park and was wondering which, if any, alcids/fulmars/shearwaters/petrels/storm petrels might be possible from the point at the time of year. Regrettably, I will not have time for a pelagic trip during this visit ... but I am hoping to get lucky and see a shearwater or two from shore.

      As I realize this information might not be of interest to the members of the listserve, please respond privately to terrverts@...

      Thank you very much.

      Anthony Hewetson, Lubbock, Texas
    • Lowell & Sue Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2010
        I have a hunch that there are many who would like to know about the possibility of seeing pelagic species from onshore. I for one would love to see any responses that are sent to Anthony's e-mail.

        Lowell Young
        Mariposa, CA

      • sanmigbird@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2010
          Anthony, Lowell and all,

          Over the years I have done pelagic birding from shore hundreds of times and my favorite places have been Point Vicente on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and Point Dume in Malibu. The landscape and ocean views from these places are spectacular and access is well detailed in Introduction to Birds of the Southern California Coast by Joan E. Lentz or by using Google earth. Other easily accessible pelagic spots are Point Mugu in Ventura County, Newport Pier and Crescent point in Orange County and La Jolla Cove in San Diego. A good spotting scope is essential.

          Mike San Miguel
          Arcadia CA

          =