Eagle Peak Rd. to Lagunas (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2002
      Hi, all!

      Had a lovely morning up in the mountains today, starting at Eagle Peak Road
      and then heading over to the Lagunas. A small flock of Cattle Egrets along
      highway 78 heading up there was a nice addition to the day list!

      Eagle Peak Road had nothing out of the ordinary except wonderful scenery; had
      the only Brewer's Blackbirds and Starlings (can you believe it??) of the day
      along here, the latter making some quite incredible sounds, out in the middle
      of noplace! Three Lark Sparrows around the farm at the start of the road was
      nice as well. Other than that it was the usual chaparral fare with a few Oak
      Titmice thrown in at the appropriate places.

      Took Engineers Road over to the Lagunas, gawking at that wonderful drive in,
      and stopped at Pioneer Mail where several other hikers were already there
      getting ready to go in the opposite direction I was going (thankfully)! They
      politely reminded me to display my "Forest Adventure Pass" (which is on my
      bumper and rapidly disintegrating) before taking off... This is a nice
      stretch of the southbound PCT with the usual mountain fare, and at the
      resting spot added a Hairy Woodpecker playing hide and seek. When I finally
      spotted him he took off calling (how come it sounded like he was laughing at
      me?). Here also was a California Thrasher interposing some pretty convincing
      Western Bluebird calls into his own song! Back at the trailhead a tinkly
      song and a "bink" told me I had at least one Lawrence's Goldfinch in with the
      Lessers! Sure enough, a female sat out on a bare-branched tree, and after
      taking off about six Lessers popped up!

      Noble Canyon had more of the same (no goldfinches, though), with lots of
      Acorn Woodpeckers, Juncos, and both nuthatches. Western Bluebirds, a skulky
      Orange-crowned Warbler, a pair of Band-tailed Pigeons, and interestingly a
      Crow was unique for the day here.

      Discovered to my chagrin that the road to the Big Laguna Trailhead in the
      campground was closed off, so I headed on down to Desert View and took the
      nature trail to Burnt Ranchiera and back. P-Nuts were all over the place,
      but interestingly no Fox Sparrows, as this is where I usually get them up
      here. The view just out of the campground was WONDERFUL, and it was here,
      listening quietly for five, that I heard the soft contact calls of some
      Mountain Quail.

      Headed home after that with 33 species for the day and some wonderful scenery
      in memory! Bird List:

      Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      Mountain Quail Oreortyx pictus
      Band-tailed Pigeon Columba fasciata
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Hairy Woodpecker Picoides villosus
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Mountain Chickadee Poecile gambeli
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      Pygmy Nuthatch Sitta pygmaea
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus
      Dark-eyed Junco Junco hyemalis
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus

      33 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA
      MiriamEagl@...