Eastern Phoebe east of Bakersfield 3/8/10

  • Ken and Brenda Kyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2010
      Late yesterday afternoon, Monday, 3/8/10, we observed a bird that we believe is an Eastern Phoebe. We have placed two photos of this bird into the photo album labeled Birds in the Calbirds photo section.

      We observed this bird lowering it's tail downward. It did not flip it's tail upward. We did not observe an eyering. The bill was black. In the photos the primary projection is not long. The bird showed a strong contrast between the white throat and the head. The tail was brown when observing the bird through binoculars. This bird was flyin out to get insects.

      In the past, we have not had the opportunity to study an Eastern Phoebe carefully. After consulting several field guides, we believe this bird to be an Eastern Phoebe. You may wish to look at the photos we posted before coming to see this bird.

      This bird was seen on Pioneer Drive east of Bakersfield across from a private ranch. We used a lot of caution not to alarm the owners of the ranch property.

      Pioneer Drive is a Kern County road, but it is not paved. It rained last night in Bakersfield, therefore, the dirt road may be muddy today.

      These are the directions to the location where we saw this bird. First, we traveled east on Highway 178 to Comanche Drive. We turned south on Comanche Drive and truned west at the intersection of Comanche Drive and Breckenridge Road. We drove approximately .6(tenths) of a mile west on Breckenridge Road. At .6 of a mile, we watched for a small sign that read Pioneer Drive. The sign is located next to a dirt road. We drove onto the Pioneer Drive dirt road. We drove approximately 1 mile on Pioneer Drive until we came to a ranch house on the north side of Pioneer Drive. The area across from the ranch house is where this bird was seen.

      Ken and Brenda Kyle
      Bakersfield