O'Neil Forebay gull ID help

  • woodshots
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2010
      On Saturday Chris Hiatt got a picture of a gull flying over the northeast corner of O'Neil Forebay that I am soliciting opinions about from anyone who's interested as to its possible identification. The few details I could see didn't seem to fit any Herring or Herring hybrid but I was not sure if there is enough detail from this one photo to positively identify the bird as anything at all. My personal opinion at the time was possible Lesser Black-backed but I'd like to know what some actual experienced lariphiles think about it. Chris also got a shot of a female Greater Scaup from the dam in the northeast corner of the impoundment next to the Lower Cottonwood WMA and an adult Bald Eagle flew over us shortly thereafter.We parked along Hwy 33 and entered at the kiosk. I put the picture in the gull and tern photo file. Gary Woods-Fresno