L.A. County King Eider persists at Cabrillo Fishing Pier 1/10

  • tcturkiye
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2010
      The immature male King Eider was there from 2 when I arrived to at least 3:15 when I left, with a gap of about 30 minutes. A couple with scopes who were coming off the pier when I arrived told me it was all the way at the end. About 100-200' up the pier a fisherwoman asked, "Looking for the King?" and pointed me straight at it, right at the edge of the pier about 30' away. It drifted out as far as the line of kelp by the green buoy before I lost it. Walked out to the end, none of the reported brants or mew gulls.
      When I returned two birders from San Diego had just arrived and seen it fly in from the other side. Again, it hung around the area parallel to the area between the 2nd or 3rd trash can and the 2nd basin, opposite the 3 blue structures. The fisherwoman told me that it's been going up on shore everyday around 3, and that the rehabber has been trying to catch it for a couple of days. Passed immediately under us twice. Also 1 Hooded and several Western/Clark's Grebes, and 1 Surf Scoter. Didn't pick out any reported Mew Gulls

      Tori Collender
      Pasadena