King Eider

  • Gary G
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2010
      I searched this morning (1/5/10) for the first year male King Eider at the previously reported spot by the fishing pier at Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro without any success and was ready to leave when a couple drove up and said they had just seen it at a new location. Thanks to them I was able to find it.

      It could be seen with a scope from the opposite end of Cabrillo Beach from the fishing pier (north end) by the boat launching area. It was by the small pier at the Cabrillo Beach Youth Waterfront Sports Center which is on Shoshonean Road. This is the road that you exit on from the north beach parking lot exit. The youth sports center is private property. The eider could also be seen from the north side of the property from the parking lot of the California Yacht Marina Cabrillo Plaza. It was quite close to shore with two Surf Scoters.

      Gary Grantham
      San Diego