RE: [CALBIRDS] CBC locations

  • John Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi All,

      I inquired with Geoff LaBaron, the CBC Director with Audubon and his
      response is below.

      Regards,

      John C. Wilson

      Co-Editor California CBC's

      Bakersfield, CA

      Hi John,

      Happy New Year to you-I hope your Holiday season (and CBC season.) went
      well.

      I guess I have two thoughts here, which are fair game to pass on. First, we
      know that the CBC Current Year and Historical Results tools need re-working,
      and we actually have a large grant proposal out which, if we are successful,
      will allow us to make lots of improvements. One way or the other, I'm very
      aware that in the Current Year report we need a complete listing of all
      aspects and data from the given circle, including the center point
      descriptions. Even if we don't get the grant, that's one of the top
      priority improvements we need to make.

      Along that line, if we get the grant it would be great to have a library of
      info, always available to the public, regarding all active counts, their
      center points, general contact info, and (ideally) a map of the circle.
      That, however, is a considerably larger task for web output. Embedded in
      that task is the necessity to complete the job of updating center point
      lat/longs (which in general are only approximated from the full minute, as
      they were reported in print). Nowadays with Google Earth and hand-held GPS
      units we're able to get more and more truly accurate center point lat/longs,
      but it's a huge task to get them all done. Ideally it should be well along
      before we open something like that up to the public. I'd hope we can
      develop a beta version to open to compilers and regional editors and get a
      good chunk done that way.

      One of the most important things I've wished we had for a long time was any
      sort of mapping capability for the CBC program. Again, if we get the grant
      mapping will be included in the final result.

      I hope we'll hear by mid-year this year whether we have the grant, and that
      will let us know how best to plan for the future upgrades.

      Let me know if you have any other questions about this or other things CBC,
      and good birding in 2010.

      Cheers,

      Geoff

      Geoff LeBaron