Re: [CALBIRDS] CBC locations

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
      I managed to put the Putah Creek CBC circle and areas on Google Earth. The kmz file can be accessed at
      http://www.yoloaudubon.org/article/98/christmas-bird-count

      I learned how to do this from the Boulder, Colorado CBC site at http://brdpics.blogspot.com/2006/11/taking-plunge.html

      Steve Hampton
      ________________
      Resource Economist
      Office of Spill Prevention and Response
      California Dept of Fish and Game
      PO Box 944209
      Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
      -----------------------------------
      (916) 323-4724 phone
      (916) 324-8829 fax

      >>> <SiriusGuy@...> 1/2/2010 8:47 AM >>>
      I find it interesting this time of year to read about the various and
      varying Christmas Bird Count results from across the state. The one detail
      often omitted however, would be some general description of WHERE the circle is
      located. Posting the coordinates of the circle center would help, along
      with a brief description, including any particular terrain of interest. For
      someone who might have the chance to travel to an area over the holiday
      weekends, that would be very helpful. I do know that there are some listings,
      such as the one accessed by this link:

      _http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Events/california_cbc_circles.htm_
      (http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Events/california_cbc_circles.htm)

      but so far this offers just some approximations, as it does not appear that
      the map contains links to more detailed maps of the circles.

      Alan Birnbaum
      Fresno CA

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • John Wilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
        Hi All,

        I inquired with Geoff LaBaron, the CBC Director with Audubon and his
        response is below.

        Regards,

        John C. Wilson

        Co-Editor California CBC's

        Bakersfield, CA

        Hi John,

        Happy New Year to you-I hope your Holiday season (and CBC season.) went
        well.

        I guess I have two thoughts here, which are fair game to pass on. First, we
        know that the CBC Current Year and Historical Results tools need re-working,
        and we actually have a large grant proposal out which, if we are successful,
        will allow us to make lots of improvements. One way or the other, I'm very
        aware that in the Current Year report we need a complete listing of all
        aspects and data from the given circle, including the center point
        descriptions. Even if we don't get the grant, that's one of the top
        priority improvements we need to make.

        Along that line, if we get the grant it would be great to have a library of
        info, always available to the public, regarding all active counts, their
        center points, general contact info, and (ideally) a map of the circle.
        That, however, is a considerably larger task for web output. Embedded in
        that task is the necessity to complete the job of updating center point
        lat/longs (which in general are only approximated from the full minute, as
        they were reported in print). Nowadays with Google Earth and hand-held GPS
        units we're able to get more and more truly accurate center point lat/longs,
        but it's a huge task to get them all done. Ideally it should be well along
        before we open something like that up to the public. I'd hope we can
        develop a beta version to open to compilers and regional editors and get a
        good chunk done that way.

        One of the most important things I've wished we had for a long time was any
        sort of mapping capability for the CBC program. Again, if we get the grant
        mapping will be included in the final result.

        I hope we'll hear by mid-year this year whether we have the grant, and that
        will let us know how best to plan for the future upgrades.

        Let me know if you have any other questions about this or other things CBC,
        and good birding in 2010.

        Cheers,

        Geoff

        Geoff LeBaron