King Eider capture attempt

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2010
      On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 02:38:51 -0000, "themrbubby00mjf"
      <jonathan.james@...> wrote:

      >Just for the information of birders who may be interested in chasing the King Eider - wildlife rescuers were out this afternoon (Jan 3) pursuing it with long handled nets. They were unsuccessful while we were there, and when we left it was sitting and preening itself inside on sand along the jetty inside the fishing pier while the nets had disappeared for the time being.
      >
      >It's preening an awful lot, and spent most of the time we were there trying to sit on the shore as it played cat and mouse with the nets. They suspect that it's oiled. It did spend a very large amount of time preening.

      A photo taken today 3 January and contributed by Chet McGaugh has been
      posted on the WFO web site at:

      http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/

      It does seem to show some compromised scapular and body feathers.

      This is a bird of statewide interest. Please post additional sightings on
      Calbirds as well as the LA County list.

      Thanks.

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      SF Birding Classes start Feb.9 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
        Joseph Morlan wrote:
        > On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 02:38:51 -0000, "themrbubby00mjf"
        > <jonathan.james@...> wrote:
        >

        >> Just for the information of birders who may be interested in chasing the King Eider - wildlife rescuers were out this afternoon (Jan 3) pursuing it with long handled nets. They were unsuccessful while we were there, and when we left it was sitting and preening itself inside on sand along the jetty inside the fishing pier while the nets had disappeared for the time being.
        >>
        >> It's preening an awful lot, and spent most of the time we were there trying to sit on the shore as it played cat and mouse with the nets. They suspect that it's oiled. It did spend a very large amount of time preening.
        >>
        > A photo taken today 3 January and contributed by Chet McGaugh has been
        > posted on the WFO web site at:
        >
        > http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/
        >
        > It does seem to show some compromised scapular and body feathers.
        >
        > This is a bird of statewide interest. Please post additional sightings on
        > Calbirds as well as the LA County list.
        >
        > Thanks.

        I have posted photos of the San Pedro King Eider taken on 30 December 1t
        1230, at which
        time a light rain was falling. The photos show beads of water on the
        duck's back.
        I do not know how much of this beading is the normal "water off a duck's
        back" or
        is indicative of contamination by oil not generated by the duck itself.
        The web site is
        http://ldorman.home.mindspring.com/EiderLoon.html
        LeRoy Dorman
        San Diego