Santa Barbara County island rarities chase

  • Dave Compton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
      My apologies for the cross-posting.

      Several very rare birds have been reported from the Channel Islands in the
      last week or so, as many of you know. Two birds, a reported EMPEROR GOOSE at
      Santa Rosa Island and a reported AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER from San Miguel
      Island are in the northern Channel Islands and are potentially chaseable.
      Apparently, no commercial trips are scheduled for these locations in the
      next couple of weeks (Truth Aquatics in Santa Barbara has a boat to Santa
      Rosa on March 30, but that could be too late).

      Paul Keller and I are trying to arrange a trip out of Santa Barbara to chase
      both the goose and the oystercatcher this Friday, March 8. So far, we have
      15 or 16 people interested, but we need at least 20 people COMMITTED to
      schedule the trip. Anyone interested, please e-mail me. I'm hoping to have
      this all worked out by some time Monday, or at the latest Tuesday.

      The cost should not exceed $100, but depends on how many people we get. I
      speculate that the trip would take 10-12 hours and that we would leave very
      early.

      As for the reliability of these two reports, I think the goose report sounds
      really good. Separating American Oystercatchers from hybrids, however, is
      trickier than IDing an Emperor Goose. But the observer who reported the
      oystercatcher to me was very aware of the hybridization issue (she has
      experience with both Americans and hybirds) and her description was good,
      although not terribly detailed. She observed the bird from close range in
      good conditions.

      Of course, as always, there are no guarantees.

      Dave Compton
      Santa Barbara

    • Dave Compton