CBC locations

  • SiriusGuy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
      I find it interesting this time of year to read about the various and
      varying Christmas Bird Count results from across the state. The one detail
      often omitted however, would be some general description of WHERE the circle is
      located. Posting the coordinates of the circle center would help, along
      with a brief description, including any particular terrain of interest. For
      someone who might have the chance to travel to an area over the holiday
      weekends, that would be very helpful. I do know that there are some listings,
      such as the one accessed by this link:

      _http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Events/california_cbc_circles.htm_
      (http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Events/california_cbc_circles.htm)

      but so far this offers just some approximations, as it does not appear that
      the map contains links to more detailed maps of the circles.

      Alan Birnbaum
      Fresno CA

    • Nancy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
        Alan:  Here's the Google Earth count circle the Palos Verdes/South Bay Audubon Society used for our CBC on December 27th:
        http://pvsb-audubon.org/files/GoogleEarth_PVSBCC.jpg

        Nancy Feagans, Secretary/Webmaster
        Palos Verdes/South Bay Audubon Society
        Redondo Beach, CA
        http://pvsb-audubon.org

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
          I agree - I can never tell where a count is without looking it up.

          Bob

          Bob & Carol Yutzy
          Shasta, CA

          SiriusGuy@... wrote:
          > I find it interesting this time of year to read about the various and
          > varying Christmas Bird Count results from across the state. The one detail
          > often omitted however, would be some general description of WHERE the circle is
          > located. Posting the coordinates of the circle center would help, along
          > with a brief description, including any particular terrain of interest. For
          > someone who might have the chance to travel to an area over the holiday
          > weekends, that would be very helpful. I do know that there are some listings,
          > such as the one accessed by this link:
          >
          > _http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Events/california_cbc_circles.htm_
          > (http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Events/california_cbc_circles.htm)
          >
          > but so far this offers just some approximations, as it does not appear that
          > the map contains links to more detailed maps of the circles.
          >
          > Alan Birnbaum
          > Fresno CA

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Steve Hampton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
            I managed to put the Putah Creek CBC circle and areas on Google Earth. The kmz file can be accessed at
            http://www.yoloaudubon.org/article/98/christmas-bird-count

            I learned how to do this from the Boulder, Colorado CBC site at http://brdpics.blogspot.com/2006/11/taking-plunge.html

            Steve Hampton
            ________________
            Resource Economist
            Office of Spill Prevention and Response
            California Dept of Fish and Game
            PO Box 944209
            Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
            -----------------------------------
            (916) 323-4724 phone
            (916) 324-8829 fax

            >>> <SiriusGuy@...> 1/2/2010 8:47 AM >>>
            I find it interesting this time of year to read about the various and
            varying Christmas Bird Count results from across the state. The one detail
            often omitted however, would be some general description of WHERE the circle is
            located. Posting the coordinates of the circle center would help, along
            with a brief description, including any particular terrain of interest. For
            someone who might have the chance to travel to an area over the holiday
            weekends, that would be very helpful. I do know that there are some listings,
            such as the one accessed by this link:

            _http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Events/california_cbc_circles.htm_
            (http://www.stanislausbirds.org/Events/california_cbc_circles.htm)

            but so far this offers just some approximations, as it does not appear that
            the map contains links to more detailed maps of the circles.

            Alan Birnbaum
            Fresno CA

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • John Wilson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
              Hi All,

              I inquired with Geoff LaBaron, the CBC Director with Audubon and his
              response is below.

              Regards,

              John C. Wilson

              Co-Editor California CBC's

              Bakersfield, CA

              Hi John,

              Happy New Year to you-I hope your Holiday season (and CBC season.) went
              well.

              I guess I have two thoughts here, which are fair game to pass on. First, we
              know that the CBC Current Year and Historical Results tools need re-working,
              and we actually have a large grant proposal out which, if we are successful,
              will allow us to make lots of improvements. One way or the other, I'm very
              aware that in the Current Year report we need a complete listing of all
              aspects and data from the given circle, including the center point
              descriptions. Even if we don't get the grant, that's one of the top
              priority improvements we need to make.

              Along that line, if we get the grant it would be great to have a library of
              info, always available to the public, regarding all active counts, their
              center points, general contact info, and (ideally) a map of the circle.
              That, however, is a considerably larger task for web output. Embedded in
              that task is the necessity to complete the job of updating center point
              lat/longs (which in general are only approximated from the full minute, as
              they were reported in print). Nowadays with Google Earth and hand-held GPS
              units we're able to get more and more truly accurate center point lat/longs,
              but it's a huge task to get them all done. Ideally it should be well along
              before we open something like that up to the public. I'd hope we can
              develop a beta version to open to compilers and regional editors and get a
              good chunk done that way.

              One of the most important things I've wished we had for a long time was any
              sort of mapping capability for the CBC program. Again, if we get the grant
              mapping will be included in the final result.

              I hope we'll hear by mid-year this year whether we have the grant, and that
              will let us know how best to plan for the future upgrades.

              Let me know if you have any other questions about this or other things CBC,
              and good birding in 2010.

              Cheers,

              Geoff

              Geoff LeBaron