Surfbird information request...

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2002
      Everyone

      I am currently living on San Clemente Island and have been doing so for about
      a year. I have yet to see a Surfbird on the island and was wondering if
      those of you with Channel Islands experience could possibly help me figure
      out why that is. We have the usual assortment of rocky shorebirds and quite
      a few large flocks of wintering turnstones. There is but one island record
      for Surfbird, 8 videotaped at Mail Point last October. I was wondering if
      they are of regular occurrence on the other Channel Islands or if they stick
      strictly to the coast. It is no great feat to find one in San Diego County
      during the winter so I thought they should be present here as well. This is
      clearly not the case. Any information on Surfbird distribution would be
      greatly appreciated.

      thanks

      Brian Sullivan
      Institute for Wildlife Studies