White Wagtail, Monday morning12-28

  • Bill Bouton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2009
      Hi All,

      Regarding the White Wagtail near Santa Maria, Santa Barbara Co: here is an update on the Laguna Sewer Plant Wagtail situation.

      Patricia Price and I arrived at the Laguna Sewer District Plant at approximately 7am, today, Monday, Dec 28. I asked the man in the office for permission to look for the bird and was told "absolutely not", that liability issues precluded unescorted birders from being on the premises. He said we were already the 6th party he had turned away that morning.

      Upon leaving the facility, I noted that, since our arrival, 1/2 of the gate had been closed and a sign saying something to the effect of "No Birders Allowed" was hanging from it.

      I decided to scan, from the outside, the areas visible behind the fence along the northwest edge of the facility. While doing so, Mary Stewart drove up, and told me that one of the employees had shared with her the location where the wagtail had been seen on Sunday. We parked our vehicles off the pavement outside the facility, and walked along the edge of the already-harvested broccoli field that abuts the south fence of the sewage facility. From outside the fence, near the southwest corner of the facility, it took me only about 5 minutes to find the wagtail. It was foraging along the paved embankment on the east shore of the southwestmost settling pond. At the time of our visit, there were two yellow pieces of heavy equipment parked along the fence. The three of us watched the bird through a "window" between the two machines.

      At the time of our visit, there were no no-trespassing signs, and we walked on mostly bare soil where the broccoli had already been turned under.

      Bill Bouton
      San Luis Obispo, CA
      bbouton@...
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/billbouton/sets/