Buena Vista CBC great birds

  • Alison Sheehey
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2009
      Hi All,

      The Buena Vista CBC was conducted today and we had some great birds.
      Best was a BROWN THRASHER at A. W. Noone Park at Buena Vista Golf Course
      west of Buena Vista Lake near the hamlet of Dustin Acres.
      Al Demartini and I found the bird in the arborvitae along the northwest
      edge of the park. It was hanging with a Spotted Towhee.

      We scored 5 species of thrasher in our territory. Northern Mockingbird,
      California Thrasher (1), Sage Thrasher (2), Le Conte's Thrasher (6), and
      the Brown Thrasher.

      The other notable species were 2 Lawrence's Goldfinch which we were
      pretty proud of until Bob Barnes reported 180 Larry's in the very west
      picnic area at Buena Vista Lake by Lake Evans.

      Susan Steele, the gull maven, found a 1st cycle WESTERN GULL, many
      THAYER'S GULL and a GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL. Bob Barnes found a Bonaparte's
      Gull. The three other regular species were also found around the lake,
      Herring, Ring-billed and California.

      Frank Gibson and Bill Lydecker found an adult male VERMILION FLYCATCHER
      along the bike path at the eastern edge of the Kern Water Bank.

      The preliminary total of species stands at 110.

      Thanks to the six people who participated in the final Buena Vista
      count. After 20 years, this was my last year compiling this count.

      Ali Sheehey
      Weldon, CA