Re: [nwcalbird] Information on Neck collars on Tundra Swans

  • Elias Elias
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2009
      Bob, et al

      I just saw a flier yesterday. It was posted at the Humboldt Bay NWR. It
      asked for info on blue-collared Tundra Swans.

      I did not read it in its entirety. But I just called down to the refuge and
      Craig Ely of the Alaska Science Center is the person requesting sightings of
      the birds.

      Elias Elias
      Arcata CA
      707-633-8833
      559-433-7254 walkie-talkie
      Sent from Arcata, CA, United States

      On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:58, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone heard of banded Tundra Swans with neck collars or is it only
      > Trumpeter Swans that have neck collar bands?
      >
      > We had a swan on the Fall River Mills CBC that had a neck collar and might
      > have been a Trumpeter Swan but was only seen in foggy weather and could not
      > be refound when the weather cleared.
      >
      > Appreciate any input,
      >
      > Bob Yutzy, co-compiler Fall River Mills CBC
      >

      > Bob & Carol Yutzy
      > Shasta, CA

    • Bruce Webb
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2009
        Bob:

        Yes, many Tundras have been banded in Alaska for many years. I have read the letter/3-number codes on seven collared adult Tundras this winter.
        I can get you the region if you can read the color and alphanumeric code.

        Bruce Webb
        Granite Bay, CA
        Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone