Information on Neck collars on Tundra Swans

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2009
      Has anyone heard of banded Tundra Swans with neck collars or is it only
      Trumpeter Swans that have neck collar bands?

      We had a swan on the Fall River Mills CBC that had a neck collar and
      might have been a Trumpeter Swan but was only seen in foggy weather and
      could not be refound when the weather cleared.

      Appreciate any input,

      Bob Yutzy, co-compiler Fall River Mills CBC

      Bob & Carol Yutzy
      Shasta, CA

    • Elias Elias
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2009
        Bob, et al

        I just saw a flier yesterday. It was posted at the Humboldt Bay NWR. It
        asked for info on blue-collared Tundra Swans.

        I did not read it in its entirety. But I just called down to the refuge and
        Craig Ely of the Alaska Science Center is the person requesting sightings of
        the birds.

        Elias Elias
        Arcata CA
        707-633-8833
        559-433-7254 walkie-talkie
        Sent from Arcata, CA, United States

        On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:58, Bob & Carol Yutzy <boby@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone heard of banded Tundra Swans with neck collars or is it only
        > Trumpeter Swans that have neck collar bands?
        >
        > We had a swan on the Fall River Mills CBC that had a neck collar and might
        > have been a Trumpeter Swan but was only seen in foggy weather and could not
        > be refound when the weather cleared.
        >
        > Appreciate any input,
        >
        > Bob Yutzy, co-compiler Fall River Mills CBC
        >

        > Bob & Carol Yutzy
        > Shasta, CA

      • Bruce Webb
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2009
          Bob:

          Yes, many Tundras have been banded in Alaska for many years. I have read the letter/3-number codes on seven collared adult Tundras this winter.
          I can get you the region if you can read the color and alphanumeric code.

          Bruce Webb
          Granite Bay, CA
          Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone