Chestnut-backed Chickadee subspecies

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2009
      On a recent trip to Marshall I got to thinking about the spread of this
      species into the formerly treeless agricultural zone of northwestern
      Marin and southwestern Sonoma counties and the potential resultant
      extinction of P. r. neglectus. I subsequently came across Rich
      Stallcup's 1995 article on the subject
      (http://www.prbo.org/cms/docs/observer/focuschickadees.pdf). Has any
      recent work been done on this issue? Is the southward spread of P. r.
      rufescens being documented? Is there any evidence of hybridization? Is
      there enough recent museum material available to shed any light? Are
      banders in Marin and Sonoma documenting the necessary information? Why
      isn't P. r. neglectus considered "sensitive" if not endangered? In
      short, does anybody care about this taxon or is its name truly
      appropriate?

      Ken Burton
      Arcata