Re: pelagic trip data vs ebird

  • bjinsd
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2009
      I take a similar approach to the one that Don does with a slight variation. Here on the San Diego pelagic trips that I have been on there are very distinct areas the boats tend to go. Because of underwater banks the life zones tend to usually be concentrated in about the same area. I will have lists for those areas.

      For example I have Pelagic--Nine Mile Bank (San Diego County waters), Pelagic--Nine Mile Bank (Mexico waters) and Thirty Mile Bank.

      In between these banks the life tends to drop off dramatically and so I have separate list for these areas (Pelagic--Nine Mile Bank to Thirty Mile Bank) which can cover 20+ miles. Over time it is very interesting to see what species are seen in these "lifeless" zones.

      Keeping track of the time at each location is fairly simple. I find the hard part to be tracking the distance, especially when the route isn't a straight line.

      Another area that I tend to be a bit different from what Don has mentioned is that I do have an inshore list. I will have one list for San Diego Bay that included inshore species and another list for the mouth of San Diego Bay to just out a couple of miles. I then move on to a more "pure" pelagic list with one of locations. I do like to have inshore species on my list, though I do see the importance of having them separate from the other lists. On this list it would be a good idea to add a note that this list distance covered 10 miles in distance, though no further out than 2 miles.

      I'm very interested in what others do with their pelagic lists.

      BJ Stacey
      Santee, CA