First time visitor from the UK

  • John Girdley
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi All,

      Let me introduce myself:
      My name is John Girdley, I run the website www.birdtours.co.uk which
      provides trip report information for most of the world! Hopefully some
      of you will have seen it.

      I am making my first visit to California arriving late Saturday 23rd
      March and departing Friday 5th April.
      I will be staying at Helendale (Mojave area) for the first week and
      Solana Beach (San Diego) the next.

      I hope to target desert and mountain species the first week and Coastal
      species and any early migrants the next.
      I already have "Where to watch birds in Southern California."

      My family will be with me. My usual routine is to spend the first couple
      of hours of the morning doing some intensive birding and then spending
      the rest of the day with the family. (Binoculars in hand of course)

      I have also been "given permission" to have a couple of days intensive
      birding and would love to meet some US birders during this time.

      Research suggests that there should be about 170 species available for
      me at this time of year of which about 100 would be lifers.
      My only previous experience of US birds was a trip to Florida about 6
      years ago. (report on web-site) plus about 35 species which I have seen
      as extreme vagrants in the UK.

      I will have full Phone and Internet access during my stay...if you would
      like to meet up please get in contact.

      Regards

      John Girdley
      www.birdtours.co.uk