San Elijo Lagoon (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi, all!

      Spent the morning at San Elijo Lagoon with Adam Koltz, Geoff Rogers, and
      Danielle (their co-worker) and had just a delightful time along the "Rios
      Ave. Trail". I wound up getting there quite early, so I swung by Cardiff
      State Beach to see what was there; about the most interesting thing was a
      flock of Semipalmated Plovers and a young Glaucous-winged Gull. A couple of
      unnamed loons torpedoed above the waves while a big flock of Western Grebes
      bobbed on top.

      Heading back to Rios, when everyone finally showed up we went down the big
      dirt road first, and with lots of water there were also lots of pretty ducks,
      particularly Cinnamon Teal. We hiked out to the little spit where a
      Meadowlark sat on the big bush out there, and as we stood around a group of
      four Black-necked Stilts came wheeling in, giving great views! Not too long
      after that some avocets flew in; Adam said someone called them "flying
      bowling pins" because I guess this person thought they were shaped thusly...
      Some Sanderlings also flew by sparking a discussion on how to tell them from
      Western Sands (an there were two in the flock, which made it easy). Enjoyed
      a Double-crested Cormorant with fuzzy white crests as well!

      Heading down the other side we found a pair of Blue-winged Teal and some
      Canvasbacks, and got lots of good comparative looks at both Song and
      Belding's Savannah Sparrows. A couple of Golden-crowned Sparrows skulked in
      the undergrowth, and picked up the required California Gnatcatcher. A nice
      male harrier sailed over the pickleweed across the way. I kept bugging Adam
      to find us a Eurasian Wigeon ;-) but he DID manage to find us what looked
      like almost a perfect half-and-half over by the big eucalyptus grove; very
      odd bird! In the grove itself we had lots of Butterbutts and a couple of
      Ruby-crowned Kinglets, along with both Nuttall's and Downy Woodpecker, the
      latter which was a first for me along this trail! Bewick's Wrens and Song
      Sparrows sang side by side, giving good comparative "listens". Also ran into
      several joggers and walkers, many of which commented on the White Pelican out
      in the lagoon, so we got to recite the Salton Sea Story several times!
      Finally picked up Osprey on the way back, but almost overlooked the adult
      Glaucous-winged Gull swimming right next to him! Had great looks at a cute
      male California Quail back at the trailhead, and learned quite a bit about
      the plants, too, thanks to Geoff!

      Wound up with 68 species for the morning. Bird List:

      Western Grebe Aechmophorus occidentalis
      American White Pelican Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
      Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis
      Double-crested Cormorant Phalacrocorax auritus
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      Great Egret Ardea alba
      Eurasian x American Wigeon Anas penelope x americana
      American Wigeon Anas americana
      Gadwall Anas strepera
      Green-winged Teal Anas crecca
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Northern Pintail Anas acuta
      Blue-winged Teal Anas discors
      Cinnamon Teal Anas cyanoptera
      Northern Shoveler Anas clypeata
      Canvasback Aythya valisineria
      Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Osprey Pandion haliaetus
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus
      American Avocet Recurvirostra americana
      Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola
      Semipalmated Plover Charadrius semipalmatus
      Willet Catoptrophorus semipalmatus
      Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri
      Sanderling
      Heermann's Gull Larus heermanni
      Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
      California Gull Larus californicus
      Glaucous-winged Gull Larus glaucescens
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      California Gnatcatcher Polioptila californica
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Golden-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia atricapilla
      Western Meadowlark Sturnella neglecta

      67 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      San Diego, CA