LA Audubon Society December monthly meeting 12/9/09 & Lancaster CBC invite

  • Nicholas Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2009
      Hi Birders

      You are cordially invited to attend Los Angeles Audubon Society's
      monthly meeting this coming Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 7:30pm.
      The address is Plummer Park, 7377 Santa Monica Blvd., Rm 6 of the
      Community Center, West Hollywood, CA 90046. Refreshments will be
      served at the bookstore after the meeting.

      Please join us this night as our local, gull expert, Larry Allen,
      gives a presentation at our December monthly meeting. Larry has led
      identification workshops for the chapter and fieldtrips studying our
      gull species:

      What Gull is That? Speciation among the Larids

      When the next edition of your favorite North American field guide is
      published, you will note that the scientific names of many Gull (and
      other) species will have changed: Bonaparte's Gull will be
      Chroicocephalus philadelphia and Laughing Gull will be Leucophaeus
      atricilla for example. And, if your field guide follows AOU order,
      Swallow-tailed Gull will be the first picture in the gull section

      Larry will discuss the reasons for these changes and touch on the
      history of gull systematics. We will explore some of the problems
      imposed by hybridization and the comparatively recent evolutionary
      radiation of many gull species. Larry will also provide
      identification tips to help in discriminating among the many members
      of this interesting and complex group.

      ***

      We are looking for volunteers to help out with our Lancaster
      Christmas Bird Count, Saturday, December 19, 2009. Please contact us
      if you'd like to participate in this area where habitat can still be
      found supporting resident LeConte's Thrasher and wintering Mountain
      Plover, and raptors.

      See you Wednesday night!

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA
      Programs Chair and Fieldtrip Leader for LAAS
      Co-compiler of the Lancaster CBC