Re: [CALBIRDS] nesting/breeding status of Heerman's Gull in California

  • Jamie Chavez
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2009
      Alan,

      In San Luis Obispo County there are a couple of records of territorial
      and/or nest-building Heermann's Gulls along the bluff off Shell Beach. I
      don't believe the few attempts there have actually produced young, but
      the gulls went through the motions nonetheless. Pressures from Western
      Gulls and roosting Brown Pelicans may have something to due with those
      unsuccessful nesting attempts. I photographed one of the birds on
      territory in June as it tended to the nest site, but I don't remember if
      any eggs were actually seen that particular year.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/almiyi/169059513/

      Jamie Chavez
      Santa Maria, CA
      http://www.sbcobirding.com