nesting/breeding status of Heerman's Gull in California

  • SiriusGuy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2009
      Don Roberson's Monterey Birds discusses a small breeding colony of
      Heerman's Gull in the Monterey area, continuation as of 2002 somewhat precarious
      due to competition with Canadian Goose in the same habitat.

      What is the current status of HEGU for nesting/breeding in that county, or
      recently elsewhere in the state? I know that primarily they breed/nest in
      Mexico. Thanks.

      Alan Birnbaum
      Fresno Ca

    • Jamie Chavez
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2009
        Alan,

        In San Luis Obispo County there are a couple of records of territorial
        and/or nest-building Heermann's Gulls along the bluff off Shell Beach. I
        don't believe the few attempts there have actually produced young, but
        the gulls went through the motions nonetheless. Pressures from Western
        Gulls and roosting Brown Pelicans may have something to due with those
        unsuccessful nesting attempts. I photographed one of the birds on
        territory in June as it tended to the nest site, but I don't remember if
        any eggs were actually seen that particular year.

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/almiyi/169059513/

        Jamie Chavez
        Santa Maria, CA
        http://www.sbcobirding.com