Kings Co. Lesser Black-backed Gull

  • woodshots
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2009
      On my way back from seeing my lifer Nelson's Sparrow this morning at Morro Bay I decided to check out the ponds at Jersey and Kent along Hwy 41 in Kings county and I found a gull in the south pond that I believe is a first winter Lesser Black-backed Gull. When I left at 4:40 it was still there but Mark Stacey couldn't locate it as it was getting dark this evening so hopefully it will be back. There had been 75 Bonapartes Gulls in the ponds as well that Mark didn't notice so maybe all the gulls are roosting somewhere else. I put 3 photos of the bird in the gulls photo folder here. Good luck if you go looking for it! Gary Woods-Fresno
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2009
        Isn't this second winter? I think I see "adult gray" in the back.

        Steve Hampton
        ________________
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game
        PO Box 944209
        Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
        -----------------------------------
        (916) 323-4724 phone
        (916) 324-8829 fax

        >>> "woodshots" <woodshots@...> 11/16/2009 7:16 PM >>>
        On my way back from seeing my lifer Nelson's Sparrow this morning at Morro Bay I decided to check out the ponds at Jersey and Kent along Hwy 41 in Kings county and I found a gull in the south pond that I believe is a first winter Lesser Black-backed Gull. When I left at 4:40 it was still there but Mark Stacey couldn't locate it as it was getting dark this evening so hopefully it will be back. There had been 75 Bonapartes Gulls in the ponds as well that Mark didn't notice so maybe all the gulls are roosting somewhere else. I put 3 photos of the bird in the gulls photo folder here. Good luck if you go looking for it! Gary Woods-Fresno

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Steve & Priscilla Summers
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2009
          The Lesser Black-backed Gull at the Kent Ave. pond in Kings Co. is now
          California's first specimen for this species. I was the only one there when
          it died at 11:47a on 17 Nov. With the help of John Lockhart we retrieved the
          bird around 2:30p. I have put some photos of the bird in the CALBIRDS
          Gulls-Terns folder.

          Steve Summers
          Porterville, CA